FAQ : How to set up Filters
Filters : Gmail's filters allow you to manage the flow of incoming messages. Using filters, you can automatically send email to a label, archive, delete, star, or forward your mail, even keep it out of Spam.
To create a filter
- Open Gmail
- Click the down arrow in your search box. A window that allows you to specify your search criteria will appear.
- Enter your search criteria. If you want to check that your search worked correctly, click the search button.
- Click Create filter with this search at the bottom of the search window. If you need to verify the search results, you can click the x to collapse the filter options. Clicking the down arrow again will bring the window back with the same search criteria you entered.
- Choose the action(s) you want the filter to take.
- To keep organized, many people like to have incoming messages automatically labeled and removed from their inbox until they can look at them later at a more convenient time. If you want to do this, make sure to select Skip the Inbox (Archive it) and Apply the label: when you create your filter.
- Click the Create filter button.
Please note: When you create a filter to forward messages, only new messages will be affected. Any existing messages that the filter applies to will not be forwarded.
To use a particular message to create a filter
- Open Gmail
- Select the message in your message list.
- Click the More button, then Filter messages like these.
- Enter your filter criteria in the appropriate field(s).